Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lions and Horses and Tremblors

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Last week we performed the Lion King. This was a play that Carrie directed. I worked as the stage manager. It went off really well. Everybody loved it; especially the administration. It was a ton of fun, but also a lot of work. I am glad that it’s over so that I can focus on other things like standardized testing for instance.

We had Friday off for Labor Day so we spent the weekend with some friends at a posada near here. It was very relaxing. We wanted to go horse back riding, but in the true nature of Venezuela, they did not want to accommodate us. They had the horses, the equipment, and the guide, but apparently they did not want us near the animals. Zachary was excited to try too, even though he almost got kicked! No matter, we hiked, swam, ate, drank, and lazed about in the sun.

We got back home on Sunday. The internet was down and the gas was still off (it’s been a week now since we have used our stove/oven). We crawled into bed around ten only to be awakened around three by a storm. The power went out and the wind was blowing rain up against the side of the building. Carrie ran around and closed everything up and settled back in only to be awakened around five by an earthquake. I woke up because the bed was shaking. It took me a minute to figure out what was happening. When the realization hit that I was on the top floor of a cement building with only one way down, I turned a little pale. Fortunately it was mild for us. It was only a 5.3, centered 25 miles south of Caracas (about 150 miles from here).

Now I am back at work wondering how I am ever going to get through another year here. My students have had issues with bullying, but have received no assistance from the administration. I have one student who has missed ten percent of the school year; a clear violation of policy yet no action was deemed necessary. Last week two fourth graders got busted pushing around second graders with no consequences. Yet, when I request permission for a birthday party at the end of the day, I am told that that is against policy and I will not be allowed to make that happen. Selective application of policy really pisses me off, especially when the unenforced policies affect students’ safety.

I will persevere and make it home to an apartment without gas. The company that supplies our building has been taken over by the government. It seems they are having difficulty procuring propane. So now we are suffering a gas shortage in Venezuela; an OPEC member nation. Such fun times…is my life really exotic?

Enough whining, I need to do something to hasten the end of this day. It would be great if I could focus on something positive, but that is a bit challenging right now. Instead, I will focus on avoiding my boss and accomplishing little.

MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home