Monday, March 23, 2009

Day By Day

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Not really an exciting week, but a productive one.

Relations have been strained in the Richards/Niebanck household. It’s a real bitch to live, work, play, eat, breathe, etc with the same people all the time. I love my family to death, but sometimes they just drive me nuts. We have been actively working on this problem and have made some real progress. In fact the last month or so have been great. The last two weeks are a different story altogether.

Part of my problem is the lack of male friends. There are a few fellows I get along with pretty well, but we don’t go out and do a whole lot together. What do guys do when they go out anyway? We don’t really go to movies together and I’m not a big sports fan so that doesn’t leave a lot of options here in the land of no pubs.

Carrie has managed to find some outlets; she dances twice a week and goes out with the ladies every so often. There are several single women here which makes it a little easier to go out. To some degree I’m just crying in my Wheaties and need to knock it off, but sometimes it gets kinda depressing.

On the bright side; I received one of my textbooks this week! It rocks to get mail. Most of it is junk, just like at home, but every so often something arrives that is super cool. I love mail order for that. I go to Amazon, order a CD or something and six weeks later it’s in my hands. That is if all goes well with the mail. If it goes poorly, I could wait forever. I’m still waiting for my economic stimulus check.

I am taking an online course in Children’s Literature. It is a precursor to my plan to get my school librarian’s certificate. It feels good to have something to do that is working towards a bigger goal. I really enjoy the subject matter so that helps too. As an added bonus, CIC agreed to pay for the online course as a professional development opportunity. So it’s free! I only have to present material to the staff later and maybe do a workshop at the next VANAS conference. A small price to pay…

We had our talent show on Thursday. Several of my students performed. It was fun to realize that I had interacted with every performer under the age of ten. I was impressed with the quality of the acts. Next year we shall try to convince the little man to do something.

Speaking of the little man; he approached us one day this week and posed this question: “What were you guys doing when I got into Mama’s tummy?” I wasn’t 100% sure how I should answer that one so I told him we were shopping for TV’s. That answer will probably scar him for life and I’ll hear about it again and again for the next ten years, but I just didn’t have the courage to tell him the truth. Maybe when he’s a little older.

This week is the faculty auction and the elementary spring concert. That should make things go by quickly. Only two more weeks until I go to Panama; I can hardly wait.

MJR

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"What were you guys doing when I got into Mama’s tummy?” I wasn’t 100% sure how I should answer that one so I told him we were shopping for TV’s. "

I'll bet you guys aren't welcome at Best Buy anymore. *lol*

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home