Sunday, March 15, 2009

Water, Water...Nowhere

Saturday, March 14, 2009

My cold is still hanging on. In fact I have passed it on to Carrie and Zachary. That really is just the icing on the cake.

Monday went along fine until the water stopped working. It seems that the pump was broken and needed parts. The pump takes the water from the ground floor where it enters the building and pushes it up to the roof. From there, gravity distributes it to the rest of the building. Dishes were stacked in the sink and the bathroom doors were left closed at all times. We had to go down to the parking lot and carry buckets upstairs to flush the toilets, etc. It was exhausting, but we were assured it would be fixed in no time. We went out for dinner.

Tuesday; still no water. In the evening we went to a great concert of a band called Café Tacuba. We had a sushi dinner, then went to the show. We attended with some friends and had a fabulous time. It was awesome to go out as a couple and leave the kid behind. It was a late night, adding even more challenge to a waterless Wednesday.

In the morning we headed up to the locker rooms at school to get a shower, but that is not the best way to begin one’s day. I was truly beat when I arrived home that evening to discover there was still no water. The Conserje (building super) assured us it would be fixed that night. We went out for dinner again.

Fortunately he wasn’t lying. By ten o’clock we had water once more. We flushed the toilets ten or twelve times, did the dishes, and started the laundry. I think I would rather do without electricity than water. Water is so necessary for so many things; I can shower, do laundry, and prepare dinner without electricity, but all of those things are pretty much impossible without water. Doing without helps me feel more grateful for what I have.

Staying upbeat at work is becoming more and more challenging. I work hard with my kids, but the organizational structure and the administration of my school is a shambles. I have been commandeered for a committee and I dread every minute of it. I do not feel that my opinion is valued and I get the idea that change will never happen. I have to look at the 7 a.m. meetings as tests; can I keep my mouth shut for thirty or forty minutes at a time? Alas, I don’t think so; Trouble, here I come!

The ides of March are upon us. In four weeks I will be in Panama. I have to stay focused on my time away from Valencia. I can’t believe we have committed to another year here. What were we thinking?

MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home