Saturday, May 23, 2009

Spring Break With the Boys

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sorry to leave you hanging like that, I had to go away for a while. I am now quite refreshed and ready to tolerate my employer once more.

Conferences went off without a hitch. Carrie and Zachary took off on Friday morning for Florida, I played poker that night, and fled the country the next day.

I was beat on Saturday having played poker till three the night before. I woke up, cleaned the house, packed my bag, dropped the car off at school, and caught a cab to the Valencia airport.

My flight was two hours long. I was excited to be flying alone; I had my iPod and a cheap novel. I sat down on the aisle next to an old lady. Before I was really settled, she asked me how to put on her seatbelt. She couldn’t quite figure out how to adjust it for her size. I got her squared away, put on my headphones, and went to sleep.

I awoke to Grandma poking me in the arm! She had her meal sitting in her lap and she was letting me know that there was lunch. Now that I was wide awake, I put my tray down and took the food. She immediately started pushing on the seat in front of her, trying to get the tray down as well. I helped her get set, although I was ready to slap her for waking me up. I read the rest of the flight.

It fascinates me that people stand up as soon as the plane stops moving. Where do they think they’re going? The door isn’t even open yet. I usually sit and wait at least until the line starts moving before I stand. Then I push my way in and head out. As soon as everyone stood up, Grandma poked me in the arm again to tell me that everyone was standing up and I should too! It’s a good thing she was old, that’s all I can say…

At the airport I met my friends and we jumped into the shuttle van to our hotel. It was a pretty nice place considering it’s right next to the airport. Sunday we flew to David and caught a cab to Boquete. We found a little hotel that had two rooms for us. They charged us $15 for the single and $22 for the double. What a steal!

Boquete is a beautiful little town up in the mountains. It’s very clean and quiet and peaceful. We explored the area on Monday, went and rode the zip line through the trees on Tuesday, and hiked to a hot springs on Wednesday.

Thursday we flew off to the beach town of Bocas del Toro. It was very touristy, but quaint. Some of the folks there were a little more aggressive about trying to peddle their wares, but for the most part we were unmolested and got along fine with everyone. We took an awesome boat ride out to look at the dolphins, snorkel, and hang out on a beautiful, white sand beach.
It was a completely relaxing trip. The three of us got along great. The fact that it was just the boys made it all the better. I will definitely put Panamá on my list of places to go back to.

Tomorrow I get to see my kids again; that’s great. Unfortunately, I also have to see my boss again; not so great. There are only eight weeks left; may I get through them without telling The Man what I really think of him…

MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home