Sunday, March 08, 2009

Back to the Grind

Sunday, March 08, 2009

This week lasted forever. I forgot how hard it is to work a full week after having only one day off. Everyone was ready for the weekend.

So it’s just back to life. No big trips, no special occasions, just work, eat, and sleep. I have a cold. That makes it a bit tougher to feel motivated, but we have so little time left until the end of the year that I have to keep going.

We have had some gatherings with friends and Tuesday we’re going to a concert so things aren’t completely mundane. There is also the president of this beautiful country who keeps life exciting.

It feels slightly tense here. The collapse of Stanford Bank has sent serious ripples through the community. The president has taken over rice production and expressed surprise over the fact that Venezuela could be affected by the downturn. He has proven once again how out of touch with reality he really is. He has also promised a crackdown on the opposition media outlets, ensuring that his will be the only message available. I am not sure I see a lot of hope for this place. It’s too bad because there is so much to offer here; there is no reason for all of this poverty and waste. We are busy planning our future…somewhere else.

I am looking forward to some live music. I have never heard of the band, but their YouTube stuff sounds pretty good. Frankly, I’d be happy to go see Barry Manilow in concert at this point! We’ll be going with our “non-teacher” friends. Two of them are the parents of one of my students. I’m sure it will be challenging to go to work Wednesday morning, but what the hell, right?

I am definitely ready to be done with this school year. My boss is driving me nuts. I hope I can make it through one more year without telling her exactly what I think. Those of you who know me well will understand just how difficult that may be. There are benefits to staying and I have to stay focused on those things or I am going to go ape. I did learn that the other fellow who teaches third grade is heading back to Oregon at the end of this year. That is a bonus. Although he is a nice guy, he’s not a big team player. I have hope that my new co-worker will be more forthcoming and easier to work with.

Not much more to tell, really.

MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home