Sunday, September 21, 2008

Happy Birthday Hide and Seek

Sunday, August 31, 2008

We have been home a month now and I have been searching since we arrived. Searching for what? You might ask. Cameron picked up a box of chocolate covered raisins at Costco for me. I love those things! The plastic container only weighs like three pounds so how could I lose it? I have no idea, but I have looked everywhere for that blasted thing so the only conclusion I can come to is that I left it in Seattle. That’s a big drag because I was so looking forward to eating them.

That’s not the only thing, though. We bought Z some software called “KidPix” for his birthday. I was excited to give it to him because I know he likes it, but I can’t find the damn thing anywhere. It’s like it just disappeared in a puff of smoke. The best that I can hope for is that it is in our storage locker and I will find it there when at last we go back to the Northwest.

Z celebrated his birthday at school on the 20th. Carrie made cupcakes for everyone in his class. We went there at recess/snack time and sang Happy Birthday. We then handed out the cakes and gave him a big time. It was fun. I am really glad that I can be a part of such things. It is a rare privilege that not all parents get to have.
The following Saturday we headed down to El Centro to shop for the real party. We bumped into Steve and Laurie on our way and dragged them along with us. There is a store downtown that is all about piñatas. It, of course, is surrounded by at least two other stores of the same nature. The piñatas in this place were enormous! They also had anything and everything to fill a piñata with; candy, toys, and plastic crap. We loaded ourselves up with a little of each and went across the street for the actual vessel to put them in. They were smaller and cheaper there. We ended up with Lightning McQueen from the movie “Cars”. It was all very exciting for the youngest member of our group. I was still struggling with the cost of this party.

The actual party happened yesterday. We reserved space at a small private park, ordered burgers, dogs, popcorn, and tequeños (Venezuelan cheese sticks) from them and invited about sixteen kids to join us. Twelve of the young ones actually showed up. They played on the equipment and drew on the sidewalk. We played “Pin the Tail on the Donkey”, and “Musical Chairs”. We had filled water balloons so they were all invited to throw them at me at the end. They thought that was great! We broke the piñata, ate a great Wall – E cake, indulged in candy and soda pop, and then we sent them all home. It was great fun, but I’m glad it’s over.
The best part of the story for me is this; when we pulled out the Legos we had bought for the little man, we discovered the raisins and software inside the box! Yeah! I knew I must have packed them. I was so clever about it, I out smarted myself. In the end, everyone lived happily ever after.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home