Sunday, September 14, 2008

Snakes + Iguanas=Dinner

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The first week of school is over. Linda went home yesterday.

We had a good visit. Linda went off to a posada by herself for a few days last week. She hired a car to take her and while there I think she actually managed to relax a little. She came back to Valencia refreshed and ready to go. She hung out with Zachary, taking him to school, meeting his teachers and friends. We went to dinner at the Syrian Club, hung out at the beach (La Rosa) and even ventured off to the hotel pool for a swim and a good sun basking. I think she enjoyed herself. I know Carrie enjoyed having her here.

Life is settling back to normal. Zachary is thoroughly enjoying first grade. He loves his teacher, Ms Dao, and he loves the fact that he gets to sign up for after school activities. He is especially excited about the fact that he turns six tomorrow. We will bring cupcakes to his class and sing Happy Birthday at snack time. I love the fact that I work at the same school he attends. Now I get to enjoy this stuff without having to figure out any coverage. We have decided to have his party on the 30th so that we have some time to get settled in and get the thing set up.

Today, during my prep period I saw the obrero (custodian) running by my room. Will is a pretty big guy and he doesn’t usually move all that quickly so I was surprised to see the alacrity with which he moved. I followed him up the hill and encountered a snake. Not just a snake but a six foot boa constrictor eating an iguana. I got there just after the head went down. I ran back for the camera and popped off some shots as the snake devoured his meal. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen. I was able to get right up next to the serpent. In doing so, I almost tripped over another iguana lying in the grass. I thought it was dead as it was not moving. I nudged him a little and he rolled his eye up at me as if to say, “leave me alone or it’ll eat me too!!” When the meal was over, Jorge picked the snake up, dropped it in a bucket, and took it out to the woods behind the school.
Tonight is my guitar lesson. I have been taking lessons with a fellow named Kleiner. He’s a super nice guy and I have been enjoying the classes. He speaks only the English he has picked up from Rock and Roll tunes. He wants me to help him learn more. He doesn’t want to read or write, just talk. He wants to start with the swear words and work up from there. I think I can probably help him with that.

My new kids are super. I love them already. Maybe that’s because I am comparing them to the students in the other third grade class. They are a nightmare. I am hoping for big things this year.

MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home