Wednesday, August 06, 2008

More Travels

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Wow, am I glad I only have one child!

Susanna and Andrew have three children; one four year old and twin two year olds. They all need attention and they all need it NOW! Fortunately Zachary and Elias got along well and played quietly together. Elias has a huge collection of Thomas trains and that kept Zman busy for hours.

We laid low, barbecuing and relaxing. Andrew and I journeyed to the park and gave the ladies some time to themselves. It was a good opportunity to get to know him better. They seem happy in rural Connecticut, and why not? Columbia is a beautiful, quiet little burg. Their house is an old schoolhouse with a big yard that backs onto a little forest of trees. There is a stream nearby and deer come out to play occasionally.

Last night, Susanna and Andrew went out for dinner to celebrate their wedding anniversary. The three of us went to the movies. Zachary had never been to a theater before so we felt this was as good a time as any. We saw Wall – E. Z was a little overwhelmed, but he really enjoyed it as did I. It is a very good film with a message for all. We had been commenting on the general obesity of the people of the U.S. and this movie reflects on that as well as other current travesties. Zachary laughed and cried and got a free watch for attending opening night. It was great fun.

Today we leave for New Hampshire. It has been a good visit, although the house is rather small for eight people (especially when half of those people are under the age of six). The kids were good spirited and didn’t seem to mind sharing their house too much. Zachary certainly enjoyed having someone his own age to play with.

Being there makes me yearn for a home. I’m jealous of those with a house and a yard. I want to settle down somewhere. I want a dog. I want a shop and a place that is really mine. Our apartment is very nice, but it is an apartment. Our contract doesn’t allow us to have pets of any kind. The furniture belongs to the school and there is not really any art on the wall. We are comfortable, but not entirely happy. I thoroughly enjoy the adventure of living overseas, but I am tired of moving. Maybe it’s time to live in the States and travel abroad rather than live abroad and travel to the States.

I think I’ll have time to ponder these things as we make our way through rural America and end up in the solitude of the Adirondacks. It is certainly foremost in my mind today.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home