Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sitting Here in Limbo

January 21, 2007

Only two more weeks of work and we’re off for Boston. Right now we are sitting in limbo; wondering where we will be going next. It could be anywhere in the world. We have seen many good openings in places like Switzerland, Turkey, India, Vietnam, Argentina, and Ethiopia. We haven’t actually been offered any of those positions, they are just vague possibilities; reminders that we have absolutely no idea where next we will live. In three weeks I will know.

Although I’m not sure I really want to know. I mean half the fun is in the speculation; exploring the possibilities and trying to imagine what the next place will be like. I can’t think of one single instance where anything has turned out as I imagined it. I know Mali hasn’t, but what else do I expect? In most ways it’s better than I imagined.

Many folks here have lamented the fact that we are leaving. Some profess to secretly hoping that we will be offered no positions and be forced to return to Sadiola. That sounds like fun huh? Trying to get out, working to get out, telling others that you are leaving, and then…no! no one else wants you! That would have to hurt. Hopefully there is no future blog on that particular topic.

Anyway, Boston will be good. It will be cold, but I think that will be refreshing. I read with great interest about the errant weather striking the US; tons of snow in the Northwest and hardly any in Michigan. Ice storms, and record snowfall while here the weather is cold as well; every morning this week has found the old mercury hovering near seventy. It makes the walk to work a little faster so that we don’t get too chilled. I’m not kidding; seventy degrees is cold here. Boston will be a refreshing slap in the face weather-wise. I can hardly wait.

Boston will also be the first time we get to meet our new boss. We have emailed back and forth but have yet to actually see him face to face. How bizarre; we’ll meet our new boss while he is at a job fair trying to find replacements for us. He hasn’t even seen the place. He has no idea what the school or the village is like. I’m waiting for Rod Serling to pop up…

I will genuinely miss this place. For all its shortfalls, Sadiola is a nice place. I am comfortable here. We have established our spot and developed a community of friends. In New York I could hardly wait to leave, but here I want to put off thinking of the inevitable. I know it’s the best thing to do, I know that three years here would be way too long, I know that newer adventures await, and still I will be very sad when our final day arrives.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home