Saturday, January 27, 2007

Wow, Cool, Now Run

January 2, 2007

Today we drove about 400 kilometers from Pandamatenga to Francistown. It’s the same stretch of road where we got the flat tires. We took it slow.

Yesterday we encountered two elephants grazing in the bush by the side of the road. Today we stopped to gaze at one that was practically standing in the road. He paid us little mind as he grazed, finally wandering off into the trees. We were awestruck that we should encounter such a sight. I mean I have seen plenty of deer, rabbits, opossums, and coyotes hanging by the side of the road; but never an elephant.
A short time later we came across another one. This one was right out in the open, picking leaves off of a tree. We stopped alongside to get some pictures. When it caught sight of us, it turned, flapped its ears, stomped its foot, and let out a loud blast. I didn’t wait around to see what would happen next. I think I left more than a little rubber on the pavement as we sped away.


Needless to say, I didn’t stop to observe the next two elephants we saw. Oh sure, I slowed down a bit, but there was no way I was going to stop.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home