Monday, January 29, 2007

I Was Never Like That

January 13, 2007

Ah, the weekend at last!

This week has been nothing but challenging. I predicted it and it was true. I spent Sunday preparing my classroom for three new students. They have arrived, been assessed, and even disciplined a few times.

Every student I have had enter my class tries to sit and do nothing and get away with it. Usually I have to get really upset, embarrassing them in front of their schoolmates before they realize I am serious. I mean I only have eleven students in the room; do they think I won’t notice if they’re just sitting, staring into space?

We have reviewed rules, renewed routines, and established new ones. It’s harder than the first week of school because most of my students already know what my expectations are. I have to direct most of the discussion at the three new ones, but keep the other eight properly occupied so as not to lose them completely.

Needless to say it was a long week. I’m glad it’s over. Everything is running fairly smoothly, although there still seems to be some question as to who is in charge. These issues should be resolved this week.

Thursday night I went to a tremendous concert in the village. A fellow named Moullibally (sp?) Keita performed at the civic auditorium. The balafons were amazing even if they were overshadowed by the djembe player. The folks that play the djembe always seem to think that everyone has come only to hear them. It is a very loud drum and tends to drown out the rest of the band. While the talking drum is an amazing instrument and mesmerizing in its sounds, it is often overshadowed by the djembe.

At this show there were two balafons (Malian marimbas). They sat in center stage. One played a rhythm line while the other played lead. I love to watch the hands of the players. It astounds me that they can play that fast. Unfortunately, the djembe player stood right in front of the lead player with his back to the audience. Instead of watching the guys play, I only got a good shot of the drummer’s ass. He had a very nice ass, don’t get me wrong, but what I really wanted to see was his hands! At any rate the show was magnificent. When I find a CD by them I will definitely buy it.

Tonight there is another show close to the mine village. It is actually an employee party that takes place at the Malian club right outside the main gate. Last year we had the privilege of watching Habib Koite; a superb musician. Tonight we will see Abdouliy (sp?) Diabate; I’ll let you know how that goes.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home