Sunday, September 24, 2006

Work, Work, Work

September 13, 2006

Man, am I tired! I have been working really hard.

This is a good thing in that it makes the time go faster. It’s nice when I look at the clock and it’s 7:30, then I look again and it’s 1:30. Last year I spent a lot of time looking at the clock, waiting for the time to slip by. Now I don’t have time to cram it all in.

I still only have seven students, but I have three different spelling groups, three different math groups, and at least five different reading levels. My youngest is six and my oldest is nine. The planning is intense. I have to stagger all of my activities so as to assure that I can tend to everyone. I think my biggest realization is that I am not really cut out for first graders. I am truly surprised that I haven’t made one of them cry yet.

On the other hand, the weather has been great! We have had enough rain to cool things down, but not so much to make it really humid. We have also been playing volleyball fairly regularly. These things all make the time pass more quickly. Overall, the year has been going really well. Anna is working out great.

The boss says he’s coming up next week. He wants to fly in on Thursday evening and fly out Friday afternoon. Sounds great huh? Except that Friday is Malian Independence Day and there is no school. It’s convenient isn’t it; that the boss has never seen any of us teach. How does he even know what we’re teaching? He always schedules himself so as to miss out on anything important. Why does he bother to come up at all? It’s quite the switch from NYC.

My principal there was on my case all the time. If she entered my room it was to see what I was doing wrong. I hated seeing her and wanted her to go away. I’m not sure which situation was worse. At least I got the sense that Ms Darden had an idea about what I was doing. This guy James could care less what we do, so long as he doesn’t hear anything bad. It’s a weird spot, but in the end, I am very comfortable with what I’m doing and would probably react poorly to any criticism, constructive or not (nah, ya think? ME?!).
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home