Friday, August 18, 2006

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

August 3, 2006

It’s another hot day in New York, makes me feel like I’m back in Mali. I’m a little tired of traveling, but I’m not sure I’m anxious to get back to the mine.

It’s been good to see folks here. Today I visited PS 226. Fortunately, my old principal wasn’t there. There were a few teachers I knew and some of the kids who had been in my class. It was fun to see them. I had some good conversations with my ex-students. They were very curious about Africa and why I would want to live there. It’s difficult to explain to an eight year old the pros and cons of living overseas. I do not regret having left.

Nothing has really changed. Everyone is still doing the same things, following the same routines, voicing the same complaints. There are many who say they are envious of our life. I suppose that makes sense. I mean it sounds so exotic doesn’t it? We live on a gold mine in West Africa. I have to chuckle because it really isn’t as exotic as all that. In reality it’s hot and lonely and a little mundane. I already miss our friends from the west and I haven’t even left the country yet.

We did some more shopping. We had to buy a new box to pack things in. There is so much we want to take with us; everything from underwear to prepared foods. Our next steps will be trying to pare down and leave behind the things we don’t really need. It will be a challenge. I know Cameron is right; once we get to Mali, the extra cost of baggage will be nothing compared to the excitement of having familiar things.

I must admit that shopping is pretty fun. It’s hard not to buy everything I see. There is so much to have and so much that is not available at the market in Sadiola. I still haven’t gotten my fill of lattes. Even Zachary gets excited by what he sees. I think he wanted every toy that Target had for sale. It’s all fun and games till the VISA bill shows up.

We were looking at pictures last night. As I viewed shots of my students, I realized that I do miss them, but at the same time I don’t want to go back to the middle of nowhere. I am anxious to see our friends there; I miss Reg and Wimpie and the rest of the fellows. The whole thing seems like a dream from which I have awakened. I know in my head that I will be happy to arrive there, but I can’t make this feeling of trepidation disappear.

I suppose the word I might use is melancholy. I feel melancholy today. I have had a great holiday, but I want it to start over again. I enjoyed our visit with friends and family, but I wish I could go back and see them longer. I am content, but sad that we are almost at the end. I don’t feel very exotic.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home