Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Fast Cars, Good Food, and Great Friends

July 29, 2006

Man has it been hot! I think we brought Africa home with us. The difference is there is no air conditioning in Seattle. We have been super busy though. Holy cow! I’ll need a vacation from my vacation. We leave for New York in two days, things should slow a little then.

My cousin lent us the most bitchin’ car. It’s a Dodge Magnum with a Hemi engine. It’s fast; 0-60 in less than three seconds! She floats along at 85 and when you put your foot down, she hits 100 with no heavy breathing. It has been so much fun to drive. I can’t believe he lent it to me.

We have eaten some awesome food as well; fresh oysters, salmon, ling cod, crab, and chicken! Oh yeah, and ice cream too.
Two weeks ago we went rafting on the Wenatchee River and we camped for the whole weekend. We saw tons of friends, drank lots of beer, and warmed ourselves by the fire. I got to wear a sweatshirt and long pants! Everyone else complained about the mosquitoes, but we were thankful that they don’t make you sick. I even got to walk around outside without worrying about snakes.



The smell of the pine trees and wood smoke puts me in heaven. I had forgotten how much I like those smells. We cuddled up under the blankets and woke up cold. It was wonderful. The birds were singing and the water was rattling through the rocks. We even saw black bear and wild turkey. It was a completely invigorating experience.

We drove back out there several days later to go inner tubing on the same river. Our friend Dave runs a company and he hooked us up. We camped again in a different spot and then I went back to Seattle while Carrie and Z hung out with Steph and Aiden.

That night I went out with Cameron and Dan. We went and rode the go-carts at an indoor track down south. It was a blast. We raced around the track, passing and getting passed, sliding through the corners, and hanging on for life. It was awesome! We had a great time, just the three of us, hanging out and playing.
Last Sunday was Dan and Teresa’s wedding. I was the officiant. It was the first time I have ever done anything like that. I got ordained on the internet. I was pretty nervous; I mean it’s a heavy responsibility to marry someone. I feel like I did okay though, lots of people had good things to say about my words so I think they liked it. It was a spectacular ceremony, outside, with a great view of the Olympic Mountains and Elliot Bay.



Two days later we climbed on board the Victoria Clipper and hightailed it to Victoria B.C. to see my sister get married. Hers was a beautiful ceremony as well, on a bluff in a park overlooking the water and the Olympic Mountains. She and Nancy looked radiant as the vows were read. Both were glowing by the end of the service.





Our final Seattle weekend was spent with friends and family; first at a mountain retreat with tremendous views of the water, then at a West Seattle home with tremendous views of the water. Our plane took off at 8:00 Monday morning. We are tired, but fulfilled. Our visit was everything we had hoped for and more. It’s wonderful to have such good people around us. Our emotional fuel tanks have been topped off. Hopefully, it will be enough to get us through another year in the desert.MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home