Friday, June 09, 2006

A Day In The Life

June 9, 2006

I am settled here.

Things move, seasons change, and life goes on. Who would have believed when I showed up a here a year ago that I would take such things for granted?

I heard the frogs tonight. They are out in full force. We had our first good rain last night; thunder and lightening and buckets of water pouring from the sky. This morning the flies were out! Everything is bursting forth from its hibernation. Here, the animals don’t hide from the cold, they hide from the heat. Tonight they are celebrating their return to a cooler world.

Now is when the snakes come out. It makes sense; snakes eat frogs. The frogs are out because it’s cool and because the flies and the mosquitoes are out. It’s the glorious food chain rearing its ugly head.

The mosquitoes and the snakes I could do without, but the frogs are amazing. They are singing! Their music enthralls. It breaks the monotony of the heat. One must stop and listen. They are excited. They are awake and alive and ready to go!

It’s a good reminder. I am in the last weeks of work before I go home again. I haven’t been home for a year and I am more than a little anxious. It is ever easier to sink into a routine; I wake up, I go to work, I relax and eat dinner, and then off to bed to do it all again. I keep forgetting that I am in Africa. I may never come back after this journey. I should live every moment as if it were a Kodak moment.

But I keep forgetting. It takes the frogs to rouse me from my slumber, even if for only a moment…
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home