Monday, April 24, 2006

Simplicity

March 16, 2006

Decisions here are simple.

I don’t have to think about where I can get the best produce or where soap is on sale because there is only one place to shop. We don’t have to choose what type of food to eat or what restaurants to eat in, there is only one choice. I never worry about what fashions to wear, or that my clothing suits the weather – it’s always hot.




There is certainly something to be said for simplicity. We have peeled away so many extraneous pieces of our lives simply by moving here. I don’t have a lot of “stuff” (it’s all in storage) and I find I don’t need it. We don’t have a car that is reliable, but there aren’t too many places to go. There is a certain freedom in this simplicity.




There is also a sense of “missing out” on all the rest but it feels okay to miss out for a while after having so many choices to make in New York.

Another Benefit:
Last month we went to a Valentines dinner and dance at the club here. After ‘shaking his booty’ and then a good dinner, Zachary fell sound asleep under a speaker on two armchairs pushed together to make a little bed. After a lot more dancing, some adult conversation, and a couple cocktails, we all went home. Mark carried Zachary the three blocks to his bed and he never even woke up. So easy!




Similarly last night we went to a spontaneous BBQ at Reg’s house. Yummy food, good laughs, and lots of S. African history. After dinner and playing with the bunnies in the yard, Zachary first played among the 6 giant pillows on Reg’s big bed, then fell sound asleep under his speakers playing Stevie Ray Vaughn. A couple hours later, I carried him the three blocks home and he slept soundly through the night. So simple!

I imagined this is what it might be like to live on a commune. I have always wanted to have all my dearest friends living within a 3 mile radius (easy bike ride) of me. Preferably on a tropical island, but a little patch of the Northwest would be just as nice – with a little river running through it! Maybe this is a rehearsal for that dream.




Now all I have to do is get my dearest to be nearest!

CSN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home