Friday, April 21, 2006

Kosi Bay

April 4, 2006

Wow, it’s April fourth already! I have lost track of the days. I had to ask someone what day it was yesterday. He was a little astounded that I would not know.

We are in a cabin at a place called Kosi Bay. It is a stone’s throw from Mozambique. Our lodge sits at the end of a sand road. We were unsure if our little Nissan sedan would make it, but here we are. It’s a bit of a disappointment this place. Malaria is a big problem here. The advertising boasts screens on all the windows. This is true, however there are also big gaps in the flooring, the siding, and the eaves. The screens provide little comfort at all.

The brochure also has beautiful pictures of the bay. The lodge is nowhere near the bay though. It costs an extra $35 a piece to get there; so much for four leisurely days hanging out on the beach. We went yesterday. It was truly beautiful. The Indian Ocean is really warm here. There are several estuaries as well that make for some okay snorkeling and a good place for Z to paddle around in his floating turtle.




The first day here we hiked the quarter mile to the lake. There are signs that warn of hippos, crocs, and snakes, but we didn’t see any of these things. The manager advised us not to swim.



Once we observed all of the local boys taking the plunge, we got our suits and dived in. it’s shallow for a long ways. It turns out that this lake is part of a series of lakes that lead to the bay. As a result, the water is somewhat salty. The locals laughed when we asked about crocs and hippos.

Zachary has insisted on learning to play cards. I taught him first Slapjack and then War. We have played several times and I am sure that there will be many thousands more. He keeps telling me he wants to learn cribbage, but I think I’ll wait a little while before teaching him that. I think we’ll wait even longer before he gets to play the cousins. They can be pretty ruthless at a good game of cribbage.

Today we relax and hang out. Tomorrow we drive back through Sodwana Bay and then on to HluHlue. It will be a challenge to enjoy myself today as my skin is burned and the sun is shining, but I will persevere.
MJR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home