Friday, September 16, 2005

Home Sweet Home

September 15, 2005

Another week in Africa. This place is starting to feel less alien every day. We have met a few people and started to get comfortable with the things we need at home, at school, and in life in general. I am starting to get used to the fact that it is hot every day. It doesn’t matter how nice the day starts out, it is going to end up friggin hot.

Just because I’m used to it doesn’t mean I look forward to it. On the contrary, I work quite hard every day to convince myself that it’s a beautiful day in the tropics. I can even start to believe it as long as I don’t set foot outside. Upon leaving my air conditioned cocoon I am immediately confronted with the cold hard truth (okay so maybe not so cold). I know I would acclimate more quickly if I actually turn the AC off, but why would I want to do that? It’s hard to believe we volunteered for this.

We didn’t really think about the heat part until after we signed the contract (note to self; check climate before signing contract). Once we realized that we had signed up for the Sahara Desert, we tried to convince ourselves that it wouldn’t be too bad. So what that we had our eyes upon lush forests, sandy beaches, and roaring rivers, the desert will be just fine. I mean how hot could it get? We’ve camped in Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Texas, and Mexico how much worse could it be?

I know it sounds ridiculous now, but it sounded so good at the time. It has an exotic ring to it doesn’t it? Mali…maybe not exotic, but at least it feels more and more like home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home