Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Mi Cumpleaños!

Here it is called a “Parilla” and in Mali the folks called it a “braai”, no matter the term, to me it’s a Sunday afternoon BBQ and that is what we did for my birthday! It’s so hard to believe that I turned 40 in Africa only a year ago. The comparison is funny. This year I was surrounded by 20 plus coworkers who have become friends and I was sung to in Spanish under a caney . In Mali the people were miners, we were under a lapa, and the song was in English. But in both places the main course was MEAT, and there was way too much food, lots of sunshine, and a whole lot of beer!
So similar yet so different.
I think this was the first time I felt really myself here. It was so easy. The perfect combination: a grassy field for bubbles, frisbee, and soccer, a couple of drums and a guitar came out, we laughed and ate. It reminded me that this kind of event is one of the things I enjoy most, and that we (Mark and Carrie) host the best! I’ve missed it. I felt so at ease and looked around at the warm faces. They are still so new, yet I am reminded, by each, of a dear friend far away.
It was fun to play the day away.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blackthorne said...

ccHappy Birthday! Looks like you had a great time...but what's not to love about a good BBQ.

--Lisa

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home