Saturday, February 18, 2006

Here's to the Ladies


I can’t count the number of times I have agreed, with women in my life, that our partners cannot be everything to us; the knowledge that we all need many different kinds of relationships to nourish and honor all aspects of ourselves. I believe this fully. Yet here I am with no one else to talk to. (Poor Mark)

I can’t go out to a bar with a friend and have a drink, have a few laughs, hear some music and let loose a bit. I can’t take a walk with a girlfriend and share intimate moments of my life, work challenges out, ask for support without saying anything, and get it! I can’t have dinner at a friends house, go to a play group, walk the dog, go to the ‘spa’, run a river, share a boat, eat good food, paint toenails, go to a yoga class, play in the park with, talk about teaching with, share a good book, or even study with. Hell, I can’t even call every time I need to hear a tender voice!

What was I thinking?!

Rachel once asked me: I wonder what happened to you in a past life that made you choose this path. I too wonder. Why I put 10,000 miles, thousands of dollars, and a bevy of shots between myself and my net of friendships!?

There are beautiful, interesting women here but I may never know them. Women here speak Bambara, Akrikaans, and French. Women here stay at home and don’t work. Women here are younger, they are older. Women here are from places and ways unknown to me. Women here are the mothers of my students. There are no other women who go out to the ‘club’/bar. There are no women here with whom I can be off-guard. Truly be myself.

So today I celebrate my friendships with the wonderful women whom I have known in other parts of the world. The women with whom I have (and will) share so much of myself. Who have shared so much with me. With whom I feel I can be myself.

From California to New York, from playing in tree houses to teaching school, to rafting rivers. I thank you for being with me. I have had millions of moments with you wonderful women. The moments that have passed, will keep me nourished here and now. As will the knowledge of the moments to come.

Ladies, I love you all so much. Thank you for loving me, from anywhere.

Mom, Stephanie, Anna, Sarah, Jennifer, Ann Marie, Jane, Ann, Marjorie, Nancy, Nancy, Annie, Ana, Annie M, Julie, Jill, Rachel, Laurie, Susu, Susannah, Sasha, Lynn, Jess, Steph, MJ, Beth, Tena, Caprice, Joan, Jilane, Jean, Rebecca, Janie, Leigh, Kimber, Kim, Louise, Maggie, Shirley, Pam, Susan, Maureen, Teddi….

.....to name a few.
CSN

1 Comments:

Blogger AnnZ said...

Carrie, I can only imagine how difficult that must be. I know that lately I have been talking Jim's ear off and just came to the realization that I needed to call my girlfriend Leanne more and do that kind of talking with her. Such a difference in the female female friendship. Feel free to email me when you need that kind of support. I know email is not the same but if it helps I'd love to be there for you.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home